>> Thursday, November 29, 2012
Wow, can you believe it? Another month gone. Only one left this year!
In some ways, I'm thankful for the passage of time ~ at some times more so than others ~ but somehow, it would be nice for this time of year, in particular, to slow down a little. It always seems like such a frenzy to prepare for, and then after a moment or two of peaceful enjoyment, it's all over again!! Surely, there has to be a way to balance it out better!
Today I'm just going to share some things I've written in my gratitude journal over the last week. It's fun to look back sometimes and see the things I've listed. Sometimes they're really deep theological, important things, and sometimes just silly things that are so inconsequential and yet make my life what it is. So here's a peek at what I've been grateful for over the course of the week:
- a beautiful new blanket of white snow
- I can hear the girls shrieking and laughing outside as they ride their crazy carpets into the ditch and race to hide in the trees and bushes of the windbreak every time a vehicle approaches
- the soft look of fresh snow in the glow of Christmas lights
- family sick days/weeks don't really derail many plans, other than grocery shopping!
- a fun evening with friends watching the Grey Cup (the Canadian Football League's answer to the SuperBowl)
- our windows and doors might not seal out the winter weather as well as I'd like them to, but I still have a very cozy home
- the way God works in my mind, reminding me of past lessons and showing me new things
- very soon, I will have finished reading through my Bible for the 4th time in 5 years!
- falling snow so thick it looks like heavy fog in the distance, and yet so fine it feels like gentle mist on my cheeks
- my groceries turned out to cost a lot less than I thought they would - yay!!
- I have learned so much from actually studying my Bible over the last few years, not just reading it. Growing up in a Christian home and attending church all your life tends to make you think you know it all or have heard it all, but man, that is NOT TRUE!
- it's not "fun" for The Man, but he is capable of doing the plumbing work necessary in the basement
- brilliant full moon shining on my face as I fall asleep
- our second-hand couches have lasted the entire length of our marriage (goin' on 16 years!)
- I can talk to God anytime, anywhere, and about anything and He attentively listens, even to the things He's heard over and over and over...
- it's ALMOST time to haul out the Christmas decorations!!
- We start our annual Jesse Tree Journey today!!
I don't always FEEL very blessed and a lot of times, quite honestly, I have trouble feeling like I have much to be grateful for. But in those times, it is so nice to have a record of things I've been thankful for in the past. I can look back over the week or month or year and see so many things, big and small, that God has blessed me with.
Do you keep a gratitude journal? I'd encourage you to try it!