Monday, October 6, 2008

MSM12: The Flesh-Woman Diet

MSM Week 12** I'm temporarily hosting this week as Susanne felt called to take a short break this week and next. **

This chapter hit me HARD!! Like, right between the eyes. Or in the gut, maybe.

I have struggled with my weight almost all of my adult life. I have had an awful time re-developing the self-discipline I exercised in spring and early summer. And most importantly, I DO feel that there is an area of my life that God has been asking me to give up so that He can give me more of Himself. But it isn't food.

When Ms. Weaver confesses to her readers that she used to be addicted to reading to the point of neglecting housework and cooking, I couldn't help but see the parallel between her compulsion to read and me not being able to tear myself away from my computer.

When she says Christian fiction was her way of escaping life and the mundaneness of homemaking and mothering, I can't pretend I'm not doing exactly the same thing every time I turn on my computer. You have no idea how many hours I waste here every single day. COMPLETELY wasted time.


The time it actually takes me to write a post, check emails and respond, if necessary, and read the blogs I'm following is a FRACTION of the time I actually spend here. But I'm constantly checking to see if someone's commented or sent me an email response to a comment I left on their blog, or texting my husband, or checking Facebook, or updating my Facebook status, or re-checking my blog for new comments, or.... I'm sure you're getting the idea. I'm positive I could easily contain my recreational computer use to within 1 hour.

But I don't.

And let me tell you, I have been feeling a prick of conscience in the seat of my pants for long enough that it's getting downright uncomfortable to sit here. I can't help but feel like me reading this chapter this week was God's way of clunking me on my thick, stubborn skull once again. You'd think all the computer problems I had this summer would have been enough for me to decide to change.

And it's not like I haven't vowed to change before. I've known for months already that this is a problem; an addiction. Last June, I publicly declared
here on the ol' blawg, that I was going to make some changes ~ spend more time outside, with my girls, doing IMPORTANT things this summer. And you know what? I did. So that part was good enough, but it was not at the expense of my precious computer time. Rather other areas in my life, like proper meal-planning to spend less but eat better, practising hospitality and generosity, getting together with friends ~ and housework ~ suffered.

You know, that Mark Twain was a smart fellow. Not only a wonderfully humorous and entertaining author, but obviously a deep thinker as well. In reading through his
most famous quotes, it's interesting to note that most, while amusing, show acute wisdom as well. I agree with Ms. Weaver after reading his suggestion of how to build character, that he was on to something. Twain states, "Do something every day that you don't want to do; this is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain."

What kind of a diet do you need to put your Flesh Woman on? What "something" will you do today that you don't really want to do? I know what mine will be.








** Remember, we meet here again next Monday for Week 13! **

9 Comments:

Supercool Hotmama said...

I'm a comment addict too. I guess it's my way of reaching toward the world outside my home and away from the humdrum housework that's constantly nagging at me. I've been feeling the same guilt. This weekend I tried to severely limit my computer time. Already home is cleaner, and more importantly, I took the time to put my babies to bed with the whole routine - prayers, scriptures, stories, and songs.

I don't want to quit posting, because I love looking back on my journaling and seeing my accomplishments, rereading my thoughts, and seeing the growth of my children. My thought is that I need to disable comments, to loosen my addiction to them. Then, I'm hoping that I won't feel obligated to comment on other's blogs. The biggest problem with that, is that I LOVE my blogfriends and I enjoy commenting and having "conversations". There has to be a happy medium. I just need to find it. Good luck to you on your quest to.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I to agree that I spend way too much time on the computer,but I also agree there has to bea happy medium.I enjoy blogging,it has become a hobby.I will try to set limits on my time.I pray for God to help me where i cannot help myself.

More than Survival said...

Computer, reading, tv, sewing, anything can be such an easy distraction away from other more important things! I have also been dealing with this, thus my recent blogging break. The break was good for me!! VERY good for me. I have to have the right perspective, the right heart. I also need God to continue to convict me when my time is being wasted. I wrote a post today about this... and included a song that is currently touching my heart. Have a great day,
Heather

God Chaser said...

I am with you and I know I spend too much time on the computer and I have tried to cut back and have done a little better. I am trying to not become obssessed with having to post- and my daughter has told me on a number of ocassions that I am on the computer too much, justifying that I am writing and growing in the word of God is not enough because it does take away from time in the Bible. I love to read and now I primarily only read chrsitian books-teaching /study books but again they are replacing time with God Is it right or wrong? I continue to think about this- are these man's rules or God's-we know we need to be in His word and when I am in His word and learning I can pour into my writing becasue He has poured into me- I see the blogs as ministry and with everything we can go overboard. This chapter got me to as you will see from my post. which you will not see tonight because you are doing the right thing and signing off for the night. I pray it was a blessed one for you.

Andrea said...

You know I have a similar problem with my computer. But lately I've been a lot better, even though I feel I'm losing some friendships I have made on-line.

But it all comes down to priorities. And my family needs to be my #1 priority.

Wendy said...

Hmmm...I am obsessive about the checking online constantly, too. I am trying to do better about that as well. Maybe I should just move the laptop to a room I don't go in much during the day (my room) so that I won't be tempted to just "check something real quick".

Sara said...

Awesome post! I was spending way to much time on the computer, so I scheduled a small amount of time 15 minutes 3 times a day (morning, mid-day, and night) so that I am not "idle".

Kimberley said...

I am so in this boat with you...your paddle mate for sure!

I recently committed more time to God in the evening, before bed, and in the morning, first thing.

But I know that I am being called to walk away from--or dramatically reduce the writing, reading, following, commenting--the whole blog thing in January.

That devil can be so sneaky! He can hook, line and sinker us before we can blink an eye. But thankfully, God can always bring us back to His plan and purpose for our lives!

You are wise, Tammi. Listen and Obey!

Susanne said...

WOW!! Tammi, this post is freakin' AWESOME! Your candidness and authenticity never cease to amaze me. I think that's why I love you so...you're never afraid to "get real" when you need to.

I feel your pain here. My intent on "bloggy break" was not only to NOT blog but to NOT READ BLOGS. Well, the fact that I am commenting here shows you what an awesome I am doing with that. ;-)

I loved this chapter, too. Like you, time on the computer (senseless, needless, waste of time) and my weight are two things that God brought to the forefront of my mind while reading. For me it's about control, and self-esteem. The thing is, I need to learn to LET GO and LET GOD on the "control" side of things, as well as realize that HE is my ESTEEM. "Humble yourself under God's mighty right hand, and He will LIFT YOU UP in due time". It's not about what others think of me, or even what I think of myself... HE'S THE ONLY ONE THAT MATTERS!!

Am I living a life that's bringing HIM GLORY??? Or am I just trying to stroke my own ego. FleshWoman, I tell ya... what a witch she is! Not sure about you, but I'm tired of listening to her cackle.

I am so glad I picked up this book, and even more ecstatic that you decided to read it and journey through it with me. Thanks for hosting (What a WONDERFUL job you're doing!!) in my stead, while I try to process some of this stuff and figure out how I can actually apply it to my life.

LOVE YOU BUNCHES!!!!

since Mar 26/10

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Greenery' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008; All content © swanvalleytammi.blogspot.com

Back to TOP